Re: Question regarding HTML validation

On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 10:17:54AM +0000, Christoph Schneegans wrote:
> There are much more so-called "limitations", see
> <http://esw.w3.org/topic/MarkupValidator/XML_Limitations>. In fact,
> the W3C Validator is totally useless for XHTML documents.

I'd take issue with a couple of points on that page.

  Character encoding declaration in meta element only

This is based on an informantive section of the spec which describes
how to write XHTML documents that work with HTML user agents (or at
least, HTML user agents which fail to implement NET tags). It doesn't
define any constraint that markup is required to follow, nor does it
define how clients should handle the data.

  Namespace declaration

The prose of the specification imposes this requirement. The DTD
doesn't. While it would be nice to have a tool that can check
everything about an XHTML document, I don't think that is the goal of
the validator.

If a document is going to mention that, is it going to mention all the
other requirements that appear in the prose?