Re: Outline and Parse Tree features broken (and at risk)

Hi Jens,

On Oct 24, 2006, at 05:52 , Jens Brueckmann wrote:
> the Markup Validator seems to be exceedingly slow

The two servers for validator.w3.org have serious peaks of load.

We are planning to:

* monitor usage more closely, and deter abuse. Heavy users of the
validator are strongly invited to install and use a local instance.
Better and faster for everyone...

* add a third server. The server is being purchased with funds from
the W3C Supporters Program. I encourage users of our tools to
contribute to this program. Not only will it show that the Web
community cares for the tools, it will also make it much easier for
us to have budget for tools development and their infrastructure.
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/sup

* ... and within a few weeks I hope to start beta-testing the next
version of the markup validator. The development version shows some
excellent performance improvements.

> and does not generate any output when the "Show Outline" or "Show
> Parse Tree" options are checked, with or without "Verbose Output".

Breakage of these two features was unintentional. However, the irony
of things is that I was about to put them at risk for the next
version of the validator.

Both features are nice, but not directly compatible with the new
parser we are using. That will be increasingly the case in the
future, as we may use different parsers for different document types.
They are also very marginally used - about 1% of requests to the
validator make use of either outline or parse tree.

The outline feature is convered and much improved by tools such as
the Semantic Data Extractor at http://www.w3.org/2002/08/extract-
semantic

For these reasons, and mostly because my time is limited, I am not
planning to work on these features, and they are thus at risk. The
code is open though, patches welcome.

--
olivier