Next Validator Release Roadmap (Was: Re: please add SVG as option for enforcing DOCTYPE)

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 10:35:38 +0900
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: Ruud Steltenpool (svg.startpagina.nl) <svg@steltenpower.com>

Hi Ruud,

On Oct 5, 2006, at 04:02 , Ruud Steltenpool (svg.startpagina.nl) wrote:
> Re: please add SVG as option for enforcing DOCTYPE
> Olivier, when will this happen?
> impatient me

I understand your impatience. W3C is looking at bringing more
resources to work on our public validation/quality tools, but for now
it's me alone, and I will be focusing on the CSS validator, XHTML
AppC checker and Unicorn project for a few more weeks.

What needs to happen for a release of the 0.7.3 markup Validator:

1) fix all the outstanding bugs, or postpone addressing them.

The main issue is that of changing the validator to trigger its XML
mode based primarily on mime type rather than solely on pre-parsing
and detection of a doctype. It also involves some changes in the
"direct input" interface, where no mime type is present.

2) Prepare a list of all changes between 0.7.2 and 0.7.3. Test for
regression bugs.

The list placeholder is at

3)  build a changelog, announces, etc. Package the release.

1) means working on open source code, 2) is on a wiki and anyone can
help build the changelog.
Everyone, impatient or just willing to help, is welcome to dive in -
I'll be more than happy to assist you.