RE: [VE][388] Error Message Feedback

Jukka Korpela <wrote> on 2006-05-12:

<So what's the problem? Why don't you use the latter?>

There is no big problem for this with me, I am using the latter
form because I do not want to have a verification of the coding
trigger 36 warning messages for an absolutely correctly written
HTML statement.
However, based on your reply, there seems to be a problem with W3.
Let me explain it to you:
On all web-pages I make, I include the "W3-validation icons"
for HTML and CSS.  The use of these icons promotes W3 as an
organization, it promotes correct coding,  and our company as a
company that delivers correctly written web-pages.  However, if
clicking on an icon yields 36 warning messages for a 100%
correctly written line of coding, that does not encourage the
use of the W3 icons.  If W3 does not see the value of promoting
correct coding, there is a big problem with W3 (or better: the
people in that organization).

<The validator warns about the former, since there is a high risk of
using a wrong number of hyphens and getting wrong results on browsers
and other software that process comments correctly.>
This one I has some merit.  However, a standard is a standard.  I
think W3 should concentrate on checking that things are according to
the standard - period!  Or are there any approved rules for
evaluating risks when utilizing hyphens in comments?  If there is a
dilemma, provide two or more levels with the validator,
e.g. "strict" and "strict-suggestive".

<(On the other hand, why don't you just remove the comment? If your HTML
markup "needs" a comment, the odds are that it is too artificial and
should be restructured. Comments considered harmful.)>
Again, I think I have to explain:
In order to document the code for myself, I add comments about my
coding.  I regard this particularly important when the coding goes
with a lengthy style-sheet.  Also, the use of comments is "real world
practice".
In the particular case that lead to my report [VE][388], the idea is
that the customer will modify my coding according to his needs.
How one can state that the odds are that the coding needs to be
restructured if it contains comments I do not understand (but I am
admittedly no expert.
Finally:
You write "Comments considered harmful."  Since W3 allows comments,
I suppose you will move W3 to drop any specifications for comments,
both in HTML and CSS?

Respectfully,
Jan Christian Anker