Re: Claims there is not attribute "border"

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 16:17:57 +1000
To: Parker Kuivila <parkyk219@mac.com>
CC: www-validator@w3.org

Parker Kuivila wrote:

> Your validator claimed that there is no "border" attribute in a
> frameset. This is confusing, because if i remove the 'border ="0"' part
> then borders appear. That means that the XHTML is accepting the attribute.

The border attribute is allowed in the HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0
Transitional DTDs, not the Strict DTDs.

The easiest way to remove unwanted borders from images (which typically
appear in some browsers when the images are links) is to use CSS to
remove them.  I find this rule effective in the majority of cases:

   a img, img[usemap], object[usemap] { border: 0; }

However, it doesn't handle images used as image maps in IE because IE
doesn't support the attribute selector.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/