Re: Error Message Feedback

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 14:35:47 +0900
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: David Waters <davidianwaters@yahoo.co.uk>

Hello David,

On Jul 3, 2006, at 17:53 , David Waters wrote:

> Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because its content
> type is text/plain, which is not currently supported by this service.

Your server MUST be properly configured to serve your html documents
with the proper mime type (which should certainly be text/html, in
most cases). The validator, as well as many other agents, will not
accept html document served as text/plain.

> The .shtml file has the following content-type declaration:
> charset=iso-8859-1" />

Confusing as it may be, this meta information will NOT set the mime
type for your document properly. In most cases, it can only be useful
to declare the character encoding of your document, and even then, it
is ignored if your server sends that information in the HTTP headers.

What you want is to have your server configured properly. The
following should help:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/mod_include.html

regards,
--