Re: Error Message Feedback (custom DTD document)

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 14:27:27 +0900
Cc: <www-validator@w3.org>
To: Charles Robertson <cdesign@btinternet.com>

Dear Charles,

On Jul 4, 2006, at 01:07 , Charles Robertson wrote:
> I am trying to validate my document and I am now getting one error,
> which I cannot solve:
>
> Unknown Parse Mode!
> I am using a custom DTD at www.cdesign.me.uk/HTML4plus.dtd
>
> The page I am trying to validate is http://www.cdesign.me.uk/
> mendipmedia/index.htm

The message you quote is not an error, just a warning for documents
using document types for which the validator can not determine
whether they're HTML or XHTML based.

The fact that the validator (v0.7.2) claims that the document does
not validate, however, is indeed a little strange - the development
version seems happy with your document:

http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/check?uri=http%3A%2F%
2Fwww.cdesign.me.uk%2Fmendipmedia%2Findex.htm

In any case, you should probably not serve said DTD with the Content-
Type: text/xml. I'm not entirely certain, but if my memory serves me
well, you should certainly serve the DTD as text/plain. I'm almost
certain this is one of the things that make the validator's parser trip.

And finally, out of curiosity, why are you using a custom DTD? That
should generally be avoided, unless you have a very good reason to
use them - and even them, I would strongly recommend not exposing
documents based on custom DTDs in the "public" internet, and keep
them for internal usage...
(see http://www.alistapart.com/articles/customdtds2/ for more on the
topic)

Hope this helps,