Re: OK, here's my idea for improvement:

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 13:41:05 +0000
To: Peter Bunyan <peter.bunyan@googlemail.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 08:10 +0000, Peter Bunyan wrote:
> I think that local files (ie. ones which start with file:///) should
> be supported with the URL being the same syntax as the regular one.

   The file URL scheme is unusual in that it does not specify an
   Internet protocol or access method for such files; as such, its
   utility in network protocols between hosts is limited.

       -- ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/doc/rfc/rfc1738.txt

Or in other words - it isn't possible for the Validator Service to take
a file: URL from your browser and then ask your computer to give it that
file (and if it was, it would be a horrible security problem).

(I read the mailing list, please address responses there and do not CC
me)
--
David Dorward                           <http://dorward.me.uk/>
"Anybody remotely interesting is mad, in some way or another."