Re: Parsing HREFs?

From: David Håsäther <hasather@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:58:01 +0100
To: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>
CC: www-validator@w3.org

On 2006-02-19 18:57, Frank Ellermann wrote:

>> an example like "foo.cgi?chap=1&sect=2" would be far more
>> illustrating, since &sect is actually defined.
>
> Assuming that you mean &sect; here, where's the big difference
> to the original example "foo.cgi?chapter=1&section=2" ?
 >
> Or are you telling me that this is another SGML oddity I've
> never before heard of, an IMPLIEDSEMICOLON=YES maybe ?

Yes. The semicolon, or REFC (reference close), can be omitted if the
reference is followed by a character that cannot occur in the reference.
In Jukka's example, the equals sign cannot occur in the reference, so
REFC will be implied before it.

This feature cannot be turned off in the SGML declaration though.

--
David Håsäther