Re: Error Message Feedback: text/css not currently supported.

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:52:04 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org
cc: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>, Håkon Lie <howcome@opera.com>

[ CC'ed to Håkon; FYI, and in case he'd like to talk about possible ]
[ improvements in the interaction between v.w3.org and Opera.       ]

Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl> wrote:

>Opera offers to send files for you for validation. I tried this with a
>CSS file, and got the following error message.
>
>  Result: Failed validation,
>  File: test.css
>  Encoding:
>  Doctype:
>
>  Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because its content
>  type is text/css, which is not currently supported by this
>  service.
>
>It seems to me that it would be easy using the media type to direct files
>to the correct validator. As it is this message is misleading because the
>W3C validating service does support CSS.

While there is, obviously, a W3C CSS validator, the W3C Markup Validation
Service does not, for obvious reasons, support checking CSS.

Opera submits the files in a POST request, meaning the request cannot be
redirected (as we do for GET requests, when validating by URL, for resources
with a text/css media type)[0].

Opera ASA (howcome) has also indicated that they do not wish to add further
complexities to their browser's code in this area (citing concerns related to
their embedded product, as I recall), thus precluding options such as making
Opera dispatch based on media type or using a SOAP API.

Granted, it's been quite some time since we last reviewed this and discussed the
matter with Opera, so it's quite possible some of my information on this is now
outdated.

We've accommodated their functional needs as far as is practically possible in
this area, but there are limits to how much is possible to compensate for on our
end here.

Suggestions for how to improve this situation would be most welcome, of course.

[0] — But note that there are probably ways to work around this, e.g. by
      changing what URL Opera POSTs to. A search of the relevant Opera
      related forums is likely to turn up something along these lines.
--
My mom is a professional botanist, or, as her spousal equivalent described
it, they'll be out hiking in the woods, she'll see a plant off by the side