Re: ISO-8859-3

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:51:52 +0200 (EET)
To: www-validator@w3.org

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Andreas Prilop wrote:

>> Whether iso-8859-3 is really _needed_ is debatable. It might be better not
>> to support it, thereby encourageing authors to move to other encodings.
>
> ISO-8859-3 used to be popular with esperantists.

Yes, because it is the only 8-bit encoding that supports all Esperanto
letters.

> Don't know if it still is.

It isn't. Unicode, as UTF-8, gives better results, because many existing
browsers don't recognize the ISO-8859-3 encoding but have no difficulties
with UTF-8. Bertil(o) Wennergren, an expert on representing Esperanto on
computers and on the WWW in particular, definitely prefers UTF-8:
http://bertilow.com/html/esperantaj/

That's why I think it's not necessary to support ISO-8859-3 in the
validator - but it _is_ necessary to support the encodings that you
purport to support.