Re: ISO-8859-3 (was: Error Message Feedback)

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Andreas Prilop wrote:

>> A fatal error occurred when attempting to transcode the character
>> encoding of the document. Either we do not support this character
>> encoding ("iso-8859-3") yet, or you have specified a non-existent
>> character encoding (often a misspelling).
>
> Strange! The same happens for
> http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/south-european.html3

Besides, it does not help to select iso-8859-3 from the encoding menu or
to make the server send HTTP headers with alias names for iso-8859-3 such
as iso_8859-3 and latin3. (I thought they might have just mistyped the
encoding name or used an alias.)

I guess the validator just doesn't work as advertized in this respect.
I'd suggest the quick fix of removing iso-8859-3 from the list of
supported encodings in the documentation and in the encoding menu.
Whether iso-8859-3 is really _needed_ is debatable. It might be better not
to support it, thereby encourageing authors to move to other encodings.