Re: Strange advice re BOM and UTF-8

Le 8 déc. 2006 à 21:01, olivier Thereaux a écrit :
> On Dec 7, 2006, at 21:56 , Karl Dubost wrote:
>>
>> Time for interoperability testing and implementation report
>> http://esw.w3.org/topic/QA/Utf8BomInteropReport
>>
>> Feel free to modify the wording of the page or to provide a better
>> way to test.
>
> I think the test reporting should probably be changed from good/bad
> (defined by passing the first test I assume?) to noting which of
> the basic/extended test passes or fails.

Good comments

There are four files in the page
Classic cases:
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/test-utf8-signature/withoutbom-
withcharset.html
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/test-utf8-signature/withoutbom-
nocharset.html

These for really the BOM testing
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/test-utf8-signature/withbom-
withcharset.html
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/test-utf8-signature/withbom-
nocharset.html

I think to make it easier, it is better to limit the test to

with BOM, with Charset
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/test-utf8-signature/withbom-
withcharset.html

>  My browser for instance passes the basi test but not the extended,
> which seems to mean that the BOM is not harmful to it, but it's not
> used either.

Which means that the browser is working well. no. Because HTTP has
precedence.
The pages served as US-ASCII MUST fail.

> If we are to draw conclusions from this testing, we might as well
> see whether the BOM breaks implementations AND whether it is used
> at all.

Shall we give the expected results ?

This is the normal result in an HTTP environment.
   Passed  - without BOM  with    charset (served as utf-8)
   Failed  - without BOM  without charset (served as us-ascii)
   Passed  - with    BOM  with    charset (served as utf-8)
   Failed  - with    BOM  without charset (served as us-ascii)

For authoring tool (which are not HTTP user agents), only the test
with BOM with charset is meaningful.

I have added this table to the page, feel free to modify
http://esw.w3.org/topic/QA/Utf8BomInteropReport

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***