Re: Strange advice re BOM and UTF-8

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 21:01:31 +0900
Cc: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, www-validator@w3.org, www-international@w3.org
To: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>

On Dec 7, 2006, at 21:56 , Karl Dubost wrote:

> Time for interoperability testing and implementation report
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/QA/Utf8BomInteropReport
>
> Feel free to modify the wording of the page or to provide a better
> way to test.

I think the test reporting should probably be changed from good/bad
(defined by passing the first test I assume?) to noting which of the
basic/extended test passes or fails. My browser for instance passes
the basi test but not the extended, which seems to mean that the BOM
is not harmful to it, but it's not used either.

If we are to draw conclusions from this testing, we might as well see
whether the BOM breaks implementations AND whether it is used at all.

--
olivier