Re: Bug in the HTML Validator

From: Benjamin Niemann <pink@odahoda.de>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 15:19:22 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> Regarding the W3C Validator, I wonder whether it _really_ has a bug in
> processing of attribute values. If I use
> <input maxlength=" 12">
> the validator reports no error. Yet, I cannot see anything in the SGML
> standard that would allow the leading space, when the attribute is
> declared as NUMBER.

The validator is correct. "An attribute value other than character data is
tokenized by [...] and ignoring leading or trailing SPACE characters"
(Clause 7.9.3 of ISO 8879). This happends before the number token (which
does not allow whitespace) is recognized.

--
Benjamin Niemann
Email: pink at odahoda dot de