Missing !DOCTYPE Error

From: Richard Curtis <rcurtis@beeb.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:35:11 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org
I am from an electronics systems engineering background and am
retraining for a career in web design. I am following a Certified Web
Designer & Developer course with the UK National IT Learning Centre
(www.nitlc.com).

My HTML 4.01 Web Authoring manual suggests your validation service.
Today I submitted a version of the attached index.html file without a
DOCTYPE statement, and unsurprisingly the results showed this up. I
edited the file to include a suitable DOCTYPE statement and resubmitted
the file (attached), but I keep getting the same results.

I have a validation utility in my editor - HTML-Kit - and it says:
"Doctype given is "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN""
"Document content looks like HTML 4.01 Transitional"

Why does the validation service continue to say that no DOCTYPE is included?

--
Richard Curtis
57 Old Eaton Road

Tel: 01889 577768