Re: Error Message Feedback

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, olivier Thereaux wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2006, at 3:52, Peter Edwards wrote:
>>   Why, when I only wish to read some straightforward F.A.Q (having used
>> www.dvla.gov.uk) do I get chapter and verse on validation???
>
> I am not certain I understand your question.

Neither am I, but I can imagine one possible course of events that could
have confused him.

> If what you are looking for is the DVLA's FAQ, then what you want is:
> http://www.dvla.gov.uk/faq/faqindex.htm

At the bottom of the page, there is an image that is a link and that
contains "W3C HTML 4.01". A user who is just interested in the subject
matter of CVLA and perhaps knows nothing about HTML and even less about
W3C may get curious and click on the link, expecting to find some
additional information about CVLA - why else would the link be there if
not for further information?

It then happens that link points to a validation report with an error
message. If I knew nothing about HTML and W3C, I would be very confused. I
might be confused even if I knew about HTML but didn't know about
validation and W3C.