Re: W3C Validator vs Schneegans

From: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 00:02:54 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org

Christoph Schneegans wrote:

> You can manually override all encoding declarations

Thanks, that works, with the expected effect for my "validator
torture page" (Jukka already told me that it's utter dubious):

http://schneegans.de/sv/?url=http://www.xyzzy.claranet.de/ibm850.htm&encoding=windows-1252

I'm still confused by the "missing <legend>" issue:  It's now
clear that XML DTD doesn't "want" to support more details for
"mixed content".  OTOH a schema can support it.

So far I "thought" (= based on 100% ignorance) that schema vs.
DTD are merely different views on essentially the same thing,
and for obvious reasons DTDs only can't express more details.

But the "mixed content" issue is not "cannot", it's more like
"intentionally does not want".  What's the rationale, if it's
no problem to get this "forbidden" mixed-effect with a schema ?

                        Bye, Frank