Re: Error in validator?

Benjamin Niemann wrote:

 [http://validator.w3.org/sgml-lib/]
> Why would you want to use these URIs?

Because I happen to know that they exist, and reflect what the
validator really does (e.g. for those funny validator icons ;-)
The same FPI can apparently have _different_ DTDs.

http://validator.w3.org/sgml-lib/REC-xhtml1-20020801/ is "new"
from my POV - I filed a bug report or feature request when the
validator still used the old DTDs for XHTML 1.0 first edition
after August 2002.

It's really confusing for new users, and back in 2002 I had no
clear idea what the differences between 1st and 2nd edition
DTDs really were.  Today I could (probably) interpret a diff.

And then there's always the question of all "official" sources:

Who defines what "official" is ?  When did they ask me whether
I agree with their definition, what can I do if I disagree, is
this some commercial game, who's next claiming to have patented
the DTD or the name space or what else ?

> These are just 'implementation details' of the validator and
> may change at any time for any reason.

For XML FPIs the validator apparently expects that I use any
system id. I like, and then ignores it using its own sgml-lib.

The best way to reflect this behaviour from my POV is to say
what it really does, it uses validator.w3.org/sgml-lib/ DTDs.

> if you know what you are doing you will simply ignore the
> potential warning issued by the validator.

I only get a warning when I omit the system id. with XML FPIs.
For HTML 2 it's as you said, omitting the system id. is okay.

                             Bye, Frank