Attribute specification in close tag (was: [VE][62] Error Message Feedback)

Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk> wrote:

>I would also like to be able to write </DIV CLASS="main_content">
>
>[To] say "there's nothing that can be done about it anyway" is surely
>/very/ misleading; if there is no way to affect the evolution of HTML
>by intelligent suggestions, then what possible function does the W3C
>WWW-HTML list serve ?

Certainly any standard may be updated or replaced; but in this particular case,
AFAICT, the standard in question would be ISO/IEC 8879 (SGML) and not the W3C
Recommendation for any HTML variant. SGML, as defined, does not permit, by any
means, an attribute specification to appear in an element's close tag.

--
My mom is a professional botanist, or, as her spousal equivalent described
it, they'll be out hiking in the woods, she'll see a plant off by the side