Re: Trouble Validating a nested list

From: Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 10:39:32 -0500
To: www-validator@w3.org

Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions. The reason you can't find my webpage is I
figured out the problem and corrected it, and in the process moved the
page to a new location:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/tyler006/phdprop/phdprop.html

I did send an updated email noting this, but it appears to have
vanished. Sorry for the confusion.

I understand now that nested lists must themselves occur within list
items for the next higher level list. This is demonstrated in the
tutorials I've been using (including Dave Raggett's at W3C), but it
isn't explicitly explained and I missed the point. I had thought the
</li> was optional because the end of line would be interpreted as
</li>. This obviously doesn't make sense now, but I'm just getting used
to the way HTML ignores white space and carriage returns.

Anyways, the page works now, and it validates, so it's off to the next
challenge.

Cheers,

Tyler