Any suggestion on how to integrate into a desktop app

From: Mike Zornek <mikezornek@mikezornek.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 21:21:39 -0400
To: <www-validator@w3.org>

Hi!

I'm building a desktop application on Mac OS X that will traverse a website,
checking for broken links, missing images, and the like. I'd like to embed
the W3C Markup Validator as well to let the users know if the page is
"valid" or not.

Now rather that try to do this over a web service I'd prefer to integrate
the validator in my app so the pages can be checked locally. Looking over
the source it seems the validator was built with the understanding that it
would run under an apache install only. I wonder if there has every been any
work as creating a standalone command line utility to encapsulate the
validator? If you know of any such undertaking please let me know. Else I'm
happy to hear your thoughts on other ways I might get the integration I'm
looking for.

Thanks!

~ Mike Zornek
-----