Re: [ANN] Alpha test of the W3C Markup Validator (0.7.0-alpha1)

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 11:56:30 +0900
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>

On May 23, 2005, at 19:43, Frank Ellermann wrote:
> One of my evil test documents was valid with the old online
> validator, the new validator doesn't like it:
> <http://www.xyzzy.claranet.de/home/test/res.htm>
> | No DOCTYPE found!

My hunch was correct... Your document has a FPI but no SI, and since
(after a rather zealous cleanup) our sgml-lib did not have it any more,
the doctype was categorized as "unknown, or wrong". It's now fixed in
CVS, and I'll add a few test cases to check for HTML 2.0 (strict, level
1...) today. You may have to update that document above, though, the
new validator *does* propose an icon for this document type :)

> Funny effect for another document, the output header says...
> | This Page Is Valid
> | http://xml.resource.org/authoring/rfc2629.dtd!
> ... I certainly hope so. ;-)

Yes, that's a "new" feature of the validator... It tells you which SI
was used for validation if no FPI is found.

Cheers,
--
olivier