[VE][73] Error Message Feedback

From: David E. Ross <david@rossde.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:33:14 -0800
To: www-validator@w3.org

I have two test HTML files, differing only in that one is missing
the <TITLE> element within the HEAD section.

The file at <URL:http://www.rossde.com/test/test.html> passes
validation at <URL:http://validator.w3.org/>.  This file contains
the <TITLE> element.

The file at <URL:http://www.rossde.com/test/title.html> fails
validation at <URL:http://validator.w3.org/>.  This file has no
<TITLE> element.  However, the message says: "end tag for "HEAD"
which is not finished", which is wrong.

I made this test after I spent over 30 minutes trying to find out
what was wrong with </head> in a file that contained a lengthy head
section.  I examined every line in the head section for illegal
characters, bad tags and attributes, etc.

Finally, I took a good HTML file and deleted all lines between
<HEAD> and </HEAD>.  Only through successive restorations of lines
previously proven valid was I able to determine that NOTHING was
wrong with my "end tag for "HEAD".  Instead, it was the lack of a
<TITLE> element that caused this message.

David E. Ross
<URL:http://www.rossde.com/>

complies with Web standards.  See <URL:http://www.mozilla.org/>.