Re: Character Encoding Problem

From: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 06:56:57 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org

Michel CARRARE wrote:

> I have warnings coresponding to reserved characters, which
> is absolutely normal.

Depends on your definition of normal, if you want windows-1252
you could say so, and then byte 128 (0x80) is an &euro; etc.
But you mention &#128; - that's never an &euro;, it's always
u+0080 or Latin-1 128.

> apparently, the validator sends me warnings for characters
> from 127 to 159.

Yes, 127 is DEL, a control char., at least in all non-EBCDIC
charsets I care about.  Some hardcore IBM friends might claim
that it's SUB and not DEL, but SUB is also a control char.

> Could anyone tell me if character 127 is reserved or not.

You can't use it in XML documents.  For SGML see Jukka's
answer.
          Bye, Frank