Re: Validator tests "charset" parameter of server or browser, not only the "charset" parameter of the XML

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005, Rodrigo Witzel wrote:
>   "Note:The HTTP Content-Type header sent by your web browser (unknown)
> did not contain a "charset" parameter, but the Content-Type was one of
> the XML text/* sub-types (text/xml). The relevant specification (RFC
> 3023) specifies a strong default of "us-ascii" for such documents so we
> will use this value regardless of any encoding you may have indicated
> elsewhere. ..."
>
> This irritation may be caused by the misleading title of your website.
> It's "Markup Validation Service".

I am not sure I understand your concern here (having a sample URI would
help figure out exactly the issue).

 Yes, it is a markup validation service, and markup specifications
have rules related to the context in which the markup is served (HTTP,
content-type ak media type, etc).

For example:
* if your content is served with no charset declaration (in either HTTP
header or information on the markup), then the charset used to parse
your document is the default one for the content-type used
* if your content is served at the HTTP level with charset A, and the
document itself declares character B, then agents (including the
validator) are supposed to use A, because HTTP has precedence.
* etc.

The rules quickly describe above make it so that if your server does
something wrong in serving content that would be otherwise valid, it is
nevertheless wrong.

--
olivier