Re: there is no attribute "HEIGHT"

From: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 07:08:35 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org

Fred Marka wrote:

> I don't understand why you say "vertically centred has no
> sense" and thus the decision of W3C to unvalid this option.

I've no idea what the design decisions were, but I can guess:

The normal concept is a document with a limited width like
say 80, 100, or 132 characters for a text mode browser, and
an unlimited number or lines / rows.  A continuous form.

That's also the concept for a table, some columns, many rows.
It's normal to center something horizontally.  But it's not
so normal to center something vertically, you're permanently
scrolling in this direction, up, down, top, end.

Even for a text window, where you can assume that you have 80
characters per line, you're far less sure how many lines it
might have, 24, 25, 43, 50, 60.  One of my favourite scripts
(no Web browser ;-) uses an 80*3 text window.  It works also
in a 40*1 text window.
                         Bye, Frank