Re: Problem to run the validator on a local server

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 19:42:50 +0900
Cc: <www-validator@w3.org>
To: "CASSINAT Olivier RD-MAPS-ISS" <olivier.cassinat@francetelecom.com>
Hello Olivier,

On Jan 24, 2005, at 19:12, CASSINAT Olivier RD-MAPS-ISS wrote:
> I've tried to install the w3c validator on a local serveur (on a Linux
> DEBIAN for France Telecom R&D Division).

Just as a sidenote, have you considered using one of the debian
packages for the Markup Validator?
http://validator.w3.org/source/#deb

> Same result with yahoo : 500 Can't connect to www.yahoo.fr:80
> (connect: timeout)
>  I already have some troubles with files, I think that DTD miss.

Your description of the installation process sounds good (you don't
mention downloading and installing the sgml-lib, though). The error you
mention here (500 can't connect) is an issue at the HTTP/network level,
and I would not be surprised if it was due to the fact that your
division's network is using a firewall, that you have to use a Web
proxy, or something to that effect.

A good way to test that the validator is working properly would be to
test validation of a document on the same network as the machine you
installed the validator on. You could even try validating one of the
validator's documentation pages.

Merci,
--
olivier