Re: Strict or Transitional

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 02:49:27PM +0100, Frank Ellermann wrote:

> >> Some strict rules don't work with legacy browsers, therefore
> >> I cannot use strict.

> > Such as?

> <a name="x" id="x"> isn't allowed, and <a id=x"> doesn't work
> as expected with legacy browsers.

The name attribute (for anchors) was not removed from W3C derivatives
of HTML until XHTML 1.1, which isn't really suited for client side use
at present anyway. Anchor elements can have both name and id
attributes in HTML 4.01 Strict.

> Only some name= and <del> are very critical.

I can't say I use <del> very often, not many documents need to display
changes from other versions. I suppose the need to indicate to
browsers which don't support HTML 4 (which is now over half a decade
old!) changes from other versions is a reason to use Transitional.