Re: Your Icon

From: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 19:50:01 +0900
To: maxime rousselle <maxime.rousselle@wanadoo.fr>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

Bonjour Maxime,

Thanks a lot for the encouraging words, much appreciated.

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005, maxime rousselle wrote:
> A small reflexion : putting your icon with the accompagnying code on my
> pages does not bring much (except the icon itself) : What I need is to
> validate my page BEFORE publishing, not AFTER.

You're right, the icon is not necessarily useful for everyone, and some
may even argue that they are totally useless. On the W3C site for
instance, they are part of our process to check regularly that
modifications made to existing pages did not add typos or broken markup.

As for validating before publishing, I suggest you could investigate
authoring tools with embedded validation support, or which can upload a
document to the validator for you. And without needing a particular
authoring tool, I think I remember some browsers have such features too,
sometimes thanks to 3rd party extensions (Opera, Firefox with
"Web Developer" extensions, IE with the "QA Toolbar", etc).

Good luck,
--
olivier