Re: [VE][79] Error Message Feedback - Head tag not opened error

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 09:39:03 +0200 (EET)
To: Eric Sabo <ericsabo@gmail.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Eric Sabo wrote:

> [ I do believe there may be a bug in the validator.

There are bugs in the validator, but this isn't one of them.

> Here is my code

Is it your real code? It looks rather odd. Please post a URL
in future.

> <link rel="stylesheet" href="templates/[template]/layout.css" type="text/css">
> [scripts]

The string [scripts] is character data outside tags, so by HTML rules,
it will be taken as content implicitly wrapped inside a <body> element.
This terminates a <head> element, so any subsequent </head> tag is
an error.

My crystal ball whispers that you didn't post your real code and that the
real code has some <script> elements there and a real <body> element.
Besides, there's probably a "/" before a ">" somewhere, meant to make a
tag self-closing in XHTML manner but actually making the document invalid
by HTML rules.