Re: Relaxed - new HTML validation service based on RELAX NG + Schematron

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 09:13:00 +0300
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>

On Aug 28, 2005, at 03:38, Olivier Thereaux wrote:

> CSS is not markup, whereas SVG1.2, and probably XHTML2 (etc) are, and
> would need to be integrated somehow into the markup validator. But I
> see
> your point, the markup validator can dispatch to other tools based on
> media type or heuristics.

I think dispatching on heuristics is a problem with the current W3C
validator. It emphasizes validity as an internal property of a document
instead of validation as a quality assurance tool. I think it would be
more useful to be able to as "Is this document SVG 1.2?" than being
able to just ask "Is this document valid whatever it is?"

Henri Sivonen