Re: Relaxed - new HTML validation service based on RELAX NG + Schematron

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 09:13:00 +0300
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>

On Aug 28, 2005, at 03:38, Olivier Thereaux wrote:

> CSS is not markup, whereas SVG1.2, and probably XHTML2 (etc) are, and
> would need to be integrated somehow into the markup validator. But I
> see
> your point, the markup validator can dispatch to other tools based on
> media type or heuristics.

I think dispatching on heuristics is a problem with the current W3C
validator. It emphasizes validity as an internal property of a document
instead of validation as a quality assurance tool. I think it would be
more useful to be able to as "Is this document SVG 1.2?" than being
able to just ask "Is this document valid whatever it is?"

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi