Java-based Web Server feeds byte array to Validator, gets 'End of Document' error before any content is read

From: Phil Connelly <phil@philconnelly.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 22:53:58 -0500
To: "www-validator@w3.org" <www-validator@w3.org>

I am getting the following message:

Error /Line 1 column 0/: end of document in prolog.

When trying to validate the following page:
 /http://ww2.philconnelly.com:2000/projects//

Pages from this webserver validated OK the last time I checked (3-5
months ago).  I have not changed the server connection object, which
feeds a byte stream to the client, and the pages do come up in Internet
Explorer, Mozilla.  Thanks in advance for any help in unraveling this
mystery.
Phil Connelly