Re: Closing anchor tag problem

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Scott McGhee wrote:

> I'm getting a very strange error when I try to verify my page as being
> valid HTML 4.01 Transitional markup.  It's only one error, and it
> states that I have a "end tag for element "A" which is not open".
- -
> http://www.itistime.us/index.php.

You are using a mixture of HTML 4.01 and XHTML. For example,

is XHTML. In HTML 4.01, it is formally equivalent to

though virtually all browsers get this wrong. But validators play by
formal rules. Either remove the extra slashes or change the document
to use and declare XHTML. I would recommend the former unless you
have a real reason of using XHTML.

I haven't checked what specifically triggers the error messages you got,
but for a general explanation of what happens, see
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/empty.html

(You might also have an attribute value that is not terminated by
a quotation mark.)