Re: validation fail

rod welch wrote:
> Keep getting this message....  Don't understand the problem... I'm pretty
> new to all this....
>
> Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because its content type is
> text/plain, which is not currently supported by this service...

Firstly, check that your file has the correct extension.  It should be
either .html or .htm.  If it is .txt or anything else, change it and
then revalidate.

If the extension is correct, then it most likely means that you're using
Internet Explorer on Windows XP Service Pack 2, and your trying to
validate via the file upload interface.  This is a problem with service
pack 2 and not with the validator.  Microsoft are aware (I believe), as
I, and probably many others, have contacted them about it already, but
no official patch is available yet.

However, there is a temporary fix available using a registry hack [1],
but it has not been tested on many systems, and has been reported to
work for some, but not for others and I do not know why.  It *may* also
cause unintended side affects.

The best solution is to use an alternative browser such as Mozilla,
Firefox or Opera which are not affected by this issue.  If that is not
an option, you may try the registry hack, but be careful if you do not
understand the registry, or how to reverse the change if necessary.  If
it does not work for your system, or you choose not to apply it, then
the only way is to upload to a server first and validate from there.

[1] http://lachy.id.au/blogs/log/2004/09/validating-xhtml-with-ie-using-file

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://www.lachy.id.au/