Timeouts trying to validate my website

From: Ben Haller <bhaller@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 02:15:29 -0700
To: www-validator@w3.org

because repeated validation runs on it will generate a lot of expensive
bandwidth usage) with the *link checker* (*s for emphasis, since I'm
guessing most traffic here is about the markup validator), and I could
not get a complete run back.  It kept timing out.  At first I was
trying to use various browsers, and they may have had arbitrary timeout
periods for whatever reason; but then I tried using curl at the command
line with a very long maximum time, and it still broke the connection
after a few minutes.  I'm guessing the connection was broken on the W3C
side, not on my side, since I trust curl not to arbitrarily time out
when told not to.
   I'm not a reader of this list, so please cc: responses directly to
me.  Sorry if I'm being an idiot somehow; I did look at both of the
FAQs, but they seemed not to talk much about the link validator, and
searches for "timeout" and "time out" gave me nothing...
   Thanks!

-B.