Unencoded Ampersands

From: Charl van Niekerk <charlvn@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 18:32:04 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org

Greetings all

I thought having unencoded ampersands is illegal in XML. However, the
validator only lists them under "warnings". How so? Shouldn't any
conforming XML parser crash on those?

Also, I thought unencoded ampersands is illegal in HTML too. I could
be wrong about this though. Anyway, the validator doesn't even list a
warning for those.

For full test cases please visit:

I searched the mailing list archives, but I found no similar topics
already posted. I didn't look too hard though, so please excuse me and
point me in the right direction if I'm posting about something that
has already been reported.

Thanks and regards,
Charl van Niekerk
E-Mail: charlvn@gmail.com