Re: Problem with Validator

From: <robert_schopp@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:59:29 -0400
To: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
Hi Oliver, thanks for your reply.  I agree, that message you linked to
does make is sound like an openSP issue.  However, the SGML Parser
parameter points to /usr/local/bin/onsgmls and when I run ./onsgmls
-version on it the version shows 1.5.1.  I did originally have a version
issue (it was 1.3.4) and the validator wouldn't produce any output.  Once
I pointed validator to the 1.5.1 version of the parser, it produced the
output I pasted in the original email.

Running onsgmls from the command line against index.html, using the
catalog file from the validator directory outputted no errors.

As for the debug options, I just can't get them to work.  In the URL to
validate field I enter:

and this returns a 404 not found error.  The server is definitly up and
running on our intranet.  .

olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Sent by: www-validator-request@w3.org
09/01/2004 08:36 PM

Re: Problem with Validator

Hello Robert,

I am short of time right now to investigate and answer, but here's a
first guess.

On Sep 2, 2004, at 5:37, robert_schopp@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Hello All - I installed the W3C HTML Validator v0.6.7 on a RedHat 9
> system using the tarball downloads.  When I validate a small html
> file, the first two (of many) errors are
> ********************
> Line 2, column 38: URL not supported by this version
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>  Line 2, column 38: DTD did not contain element declaration for
> document type name
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>  ********************

This definitely sounds like an openSP issue. Which version do you have?

Also, the first web search result when querying "URL not supported by
this version" is a thread on sourceforge about openjade (opensp):

> The SGML Library path in validator.conf is pointing to the correct
> /sgml-lib directory, and the loose.dtd file is in the proper
> subdirectory.

hmm okay, so that may rule out configuration issues. You may want to
try to append the debug options to the validation URI, as explained

This might give you extra info on what's going wrong. This option will
make the validator output the command to call openSP, trying that
command from a shell may give hints too.