Re: Problem with Validator

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:36:03 +0900
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: robert_schopp@us.ibm.com
Hello Robert,

I am short of time right now to investigate and answer, but here's a
first guess.

On Sep 2, 2004, at 5:37, robert_schopp@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Hello All - I installed the W3C HTML Validator v0.6.7 on a RedHat 9
> system using the tarball downloads.  When I validate a small html
> file, the first two (of many) errors are
> ********************
> Line 2, column 38: URL not supported by this version
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>  Line 2, column 38: DTD did not contain element declaration for
> document type name
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>  ********************

This definitely sounds like an openSP issue. Which version do you have?

Also, the first web search result when querying "URL not supported by
this version" is a thread on sourceforge about openjade (opensp):

> The SGML Library path in validator.conf is pointing to the correct
> /sgml-lib directory, and the loose.dtd file is in the proper
> subdirectory.

hmm okay, so that may rule out configuration issues. You may want to
try to append the debug options to the validation URI, as explained

This might give you extra info on what's going wrong. This option will
make the validator output the command to call openSP, trying that
command from a shell may give hints too.