Re: [VE][106] Error Message Feedback

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:35:14 +0300 (EEST)
To: "J. Grant" <jg@jguk.org>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, J. Grant wrote:

> I wonder if this message could be expanded upon.

Maybe, if the validator is made less of a general markup validator and
more of a tailored HTML checker.

> I am not sure what to
> replace "nowrap" with.

Well, that's a completely different issue. The validator only deals with
formal syntax, and you're supposed to use other resources, such as books
and tutorials, to decide which markup you use. You don't need to replace
"nowrap" with anything unless you wish to use a Strict version of HTML.
If you do, you can use white-space: nowrap in CSS (usual CSS caveats
apply) or, in many cases, replace spaces in the content by no-break spaces
(&nbsp;).

> Line 14, column 49: "NOWRAP" is not a member of a group specified for
> any attribute

The reason for the odd-looking message is that an attribute specification
like
nowrap
alone is permitted if there is a (single) attribute declared for the
element so that this attribute's allowed values are explicitly listed as
literals and one of the literals is "nowrap". In general, this could be an
attribute FOO with values "nowrap", "zap" and "sproing", and nowrap alone
would then mean FOO="nowrap". A general markup validator must be prepared
to such situations, so it cannot boldly say that there is no NOWRAP
attribute declared for the element in the DTD being used, although this
would cover the practical cases of validating HTML documents.