xhtml Validator bug?

From: GVE <gve@altervista.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 00:09:42 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org

I may be wrong but I've found this that should be a bug ...
When validating an xhtml-strict page the validator does not report as an
error the presence of a tag like this:

<script type="text/javascript" src="script.js" />

It should be:

<script type="text/javascript" src="script.js"></script>

as script is not defined as an empty element; so the first tag should be
wrong.

In fact a code like this at the beginning of a page result in hiding the
pages in both Opera and IE, it only works whithout problems in Firefox.

If I'm wrong let me know.
Else I hope to have been clear enough about the bug.

Best regards,
Giovanni Vertuan