Fwd: Problem with local copy

[re-sending with list in cc]

On Oct 14, 2004, at 15:37, Philippe Wittenbergh wrote:
> I've installed the HTML validator on my local dev server (OS X,
> 10.3.5), based on the latest version of the article published by
> Apple:
> <http://developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/validator.html>
>
> I think everything installed smoothly.
> However, when I try to validate a file (either via http:// or via file
> upload), the validator returns the following error:
>
> [quote]
> Software error:
>
> Can't use string ("") as a HASH ref while "strict refs" in use at
> /Library/WebServer/Documents/validator/htdocs/check line 1504.
> [/quote]
>
> Is this a problem in the validator itself, or did I miss something
> (possibly in the required Perl modules) ?

As far as I know, the validator installs just fine on osX, so it's
probably not a validator bug, but who knows...

 From the error message you quote, I think the line of code where it
fails is the following:
[[  $type = $CFG->{'File Type'}->{$ct} || $ct; ]]
knowing that, the first thing I would do is to check, in the
configuration file for the validator:
- that the line "File Type
file:///Library/WebServer/Documents/validator/htdocs/config/type.cfg"
in your configuration file does not have ay typo,
- and that the file type.cfg is indeed in the
/Library/WebServer/Documents/validator/htdocs/config/ directory.

Could you check that and get back to us?

Also, you may want to check the web-dev list at apple, see if anyone
else ran into the same issue.