Re: Standards

From: Tim Bagot <tsb-w3-validator-000A@earth.li>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 07:57:38 +0000 (UTC)
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
Cc: Abyss <info@abyss.ws>

At 2004-10-07T09:05+1000, Abyss wrote:-

> but for some reason the page does not display properly in IE compared to NS
> and Opera,

> If they are supposed to be standards and I have validated it, how come the
> pages are not displayed the same?

One or more of:

1) (X)HTML (even with CSS) does not guarantee that documents will be
displayed exactly the same everywhere. That is not its job.

2) Browsers have bugs.

3) You have written something that is syntactically valid, but incorrect
(and NS and Opera happen to do what you want with it).

Tim Bagot