Re: Decrement does not validate in a page with JavaScript

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 04:56:25AM -0400, Whittaker, Ray wrote:
> The validator does not have a  problem when I increment the counter as in
> 'currentSlide++;' but throws an error when the counter is decremented
> (currentSlide--;).

You haven't provided a code sample, or stated which markup language
you are trying to validate against, so I will GUESS that you are
wrapping your JavaScript is SGML comment markers (which is really
rather pointless these days, and positively harmful if you are using
XHTML). "--" indicates the end of a comment so you would have:

<!--

  some javascript inside a comment

currentSlide--

  some javascript outside a comment but inside the SGML command thingy[1]

--

  The rest of the doucment inside a comment

[1] Yes, what I know of this level of SGML/XML is sketchy at
best... but that doesn't matter for me becuase I don't use things
which could get caught up in it - external CSS and JS all the way for
me!