Re: [VE][108] Error Message Feedback

Dark wrote:
> My web page has a search FORM, and i don't hope previous entries
> display when user typing, so, I add an attribute autocomplete="off".
>
> But http://validator.w3.org/check told me This page is not Valid XHTML
> 1.0 Transitional! there is no attribute "autocomplete".

It is a proprietary attribute designed to control an aspect of the user
agent which, as a website author, you have no right to control.  Whether
or not an application provides autocomplete facilities is none of your
business, and it must be up to the user as to whether or not it is enabled.

> i know this attibute is only for IE, but it looks firefox works fine too.

Even though it is supported in Firefox, like many proprietary elements
and attributes, I suspect it is only supported for bugwards
compatibility with non-standard sites built specifically to work with IE
only.  Like all proprietary attributes, it should be avoided.  In
general, proprietary attributes provide nothing more than can be
obtained through the standards, or worse, the attempt to provide
features they should not, as in this case.

> I want to know: how to fix it in XHTML 1.0, is there any other
> attibute? or define it in CSS?

No, and nor should there be.  Please stop wasting your time with useless
extensions.

> I really hope my page validates as XHTML 1.0 transitional.

Although using a Strict DOCTYPE is better, it is always refreshing to
see that authors care about validation! :-)

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/