Re: [VE][66] New Error Message Suggestion

On Sat, 29 May 2004, Joseph Bell wrote:

> In Section 7.5.4 "Grouping elements: the DIV and SPAN elements", the
> W#C Recommendations - -
> give examples that include <P> elements inside of <DIV> elements.

Irrelevant. Whether such nesting is allowed is decided on the basis
of the DTD (and possibly normative prose), not by examples.

> The W3C validator for Doctype "XHTML 1.0 Transitional" flags this use
> of <P> inside of <DIV> elements as an error, multiple times.

No, it does not. You have misunderstood something. It is impossible to say
what, without facts.

> The error
> message is "document type does not allow the element "p" here; assuming
> missing "li" start-tag"

And what is your suggestion on changing this error message? Your Subject
line says "New Error Message Suggestion". I'm afraid questions and
complaints under such Subject lines, which have recently become common,
result from some feedback mechanism on W3C pages. The mechanism should be
revised.

In general, it is impossible to help people understand the error messages
without the URL of a document that triggers such a message in a particular
situation. In this case, you apparently have a DIV element containing a UL
or OL element containing a P element, and the syntax error is that you
have P directly inside UL or OL, without intervening LI markup.