Source Echo & Cookie Preferences (was Re: [ANN] Beta test for the Markup Validator - 0.6.5beta3)

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 07:52:05 +0100
To: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 07:17, olivier Thereaux wrote:

> > - A source listing without explicitly wanting this is a major
> >   pain for modem users.

> This is an observation many have made. Echo-ing the source when the
> error message pointed to the whole source made sense, now that source
> snippets are used, it may not make a lot of sense. Any advocate of
> keeping the current behaviour?

I'm not going to advocate keeping the current behaviour, but I do rather
like it.

How about a cookie based set of user preferences?

>From the user perspective it could take the form of "[X] Remember these
preferences for Extended and Simple interfaces"

If there is interest, I'd be happy to code this myself although I would
suggest leaving it until after "Figure out some way to avoid inlining so
much static HTML!"[1] is complete.

Unfortunately, doing this would require that detailed.html (at least)
becomes a dynamically generated page (so the correct checkboxes can be
checked based on user preferences).

[1] Targeted for 0.7 on the TODO list

--
David Dorward       <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/>   <http://dorward.me.uk/>