Re: LinkChecker documentation problem

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 11:24, Beton, Richard wrote:
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/W3C-LinkChecker/bin/checklink.pod
> The page is encoded using ISO8859-1 but this looks like a mistake. I
> suspect that UTF-8 was intended.  There are quite a few extended
> characters that have become muddled.

Right.  It's a known problem, and AFAICS we cannot directly do anything
about it; whatever creates the HTMLified POD pages for search.cpan.org
hardcodes iso-8859-1 into a <meta> tag in the markup :(

I remember trying out a lot of different charset/entity options and
hacks in the POD, all of which broke somewhere, so I decided to get rid
of all the hacks, and have the content in plain UTF-8.  The
search.cpan.org breakage was the least bad of many bad options IMO.

Perl 5.8.3's perlpod(1) documents the "=encoding encodingname" directive
which in theory could help, but it seems to be 100% unimplemented, even
podchecker(1) doesn't grok it :(