Re: [VE][127] Error Message Feedback

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:13:59 +0100
Cc: Simon Lodal <simonl@parknet.dk>
To: 'W3C' list <www-validator@w3.org>

On 22 Jun 2004, at 05:36, Simon Lodal wrote:
> There is a small error in the w3.org HTML validator: It does not
> recognize script type declarations in the form of meta tags, as
> specified in html-4.01 section 18.2.2.

That is not an error with the validator. The DTD says that the type
attribute is required for all <script> elements, therefore the
validator reports missing type attributes as errors.

This isn't an error with the DTD either, the
fake-http-header-which-has-more-priority-then-a-real-http-header-of-
the-same-name[1] applies to intrinsic events (such as onclick and
onmousedown), not to <script> blocks. I admit that it took me several
readings of the prose part of the specification to twig this.

[1] Do you get the impression that I think this should have been done
using name rather then http-equiv?

--
David Dorward
      <http://dorward.me.uk/>