Re: JavaScript (was [VE][388] New Error Message Suggestion)

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:42:18 +0100
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: Laurent Blume <laurent.blume@infores.com>

On 3 Jun 2004, at 14:22, Laurent Blume wrote:
> I'm having troubles with the validator, on pages that successfully
> validated as XHTML 1.0 Strict a few days ago, and now have numerous
> errors.

I can't find your error message suggestion (you said you were providing
one in your subject line). Where is it?

> Basically, it seems the validator is now taking JavaScript code, that
> was previously rightfully ignored.
> Since the validator was updated a few days ago, my guess is that its
> behaviour changed during that update.

The validator was last updated almost three weeks ago, and that was
very minor changes.

> <script type="text/javascript"><!--
> //------------------------------ JS Variables
> ------------------------------//

(Snippage above)

Oh dear.

Three things you should probably read.

1. What the HTML 4 specification has to say about comments (it applies
to XHTML too).
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.2.4>

2. What the XHTML 1.0 specification says about <script> and <style>
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.8>

3. What Ian Hixie has to say about XHTML served as text/html (which I
assume you are doing as you aren't complaining about your JavaScript
not working).
<http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml>

--
David Dorward